Hawai'i Association for Behavior Analysis

To educate, advocate for, and support both providers and consumers 
of Applied Behavior Analysis.

Get Licensed! 

In order to practice behavior analysis in Hawai'i, you MUST be licensed. Instructions are listed on the application and include two different options for verification of certification from the BACB* / DCCA Website: Behavior Analyst licensing program

Read the full law here: Hawai'i Revised Statutes (HRS) Chapter 465D 

The above link will open with Internet Explorer. If you do not have Internet Explorer, or are having trouble opening this link, visit the DCCA Website: Behavior Analyst licensing program and download the Behavior Analyst License Application. Then open it with your PDF reader instead of your browser.

*From the BACB re: Verification of Certification from the BACB: 
"Thank you for contacting the BACB. An official verification of BACB credentials for BCBAs, BCaBAs and RBTs in good standing appears in the online registry at www.BACB.com. The options that appear at the bottom of the website are: “Find a BCBA,” “Find a BCaBA,” and “Find an RBT.” To verify that a credential is not currently sanctioned, the BACB provides a searchable database of “Disciplinary Actions” that appears at BACB.com/ethics/. The BACB webpages will date/stamp the search results for your convenience in verifying the information you have requested. 
If you require a personalized letter or email of good standing, please see the Requests for Letters of Good Standing fee options and let me know how you wish to proceed. "

  • The penalty for practicing without a license is $1,000 per occurrence per day
  • BCBAs and BCBA-Ds in good standing with the BACB can apply for licensure without additional testing/requirements
  • There will be an application fee AND renewal fee
  • Those practicing under a Licenced Behavior Analyst (i.e., BCaBAs, RBTs, etc.) do NOT need separate licensure
  • There are no additional CEs required above and beyond those required by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB)

Q & A - Licensure of Behavior Analysts in Hawai'i & Supervisor Requirements

1.  Why do we need licensure? "The legislature finds that the practice of behavior analysis in Hawaii affects the public's health, safety, and welfare.  The legislature further finds that behavior analysts and the practice of behavior analysis should be subject to regulation and control to protect the public from the unqualified practice of behavior analysis and from unprofessional conduct by persons licensed to practice behavior analysis". (Licensure Law)

2.  Who is exempt from getting a license? All BCBAs must have a license in order to practice in Hawaii.

(1)  An individual working within the scope of practice or duties of another licensed profession that overlaps with the practice of behavior analysis; provided that the person does not purport to be a behavior analyst;

(2)  An individual who implements or designs applied behavior analysis services and possesses board certification as an assistant behavior analyst by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board and who practices in accordance with the most recent supervisory and ethical requirements adopted by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board under the direction of a behavior analyst licensed in this State;

(3)  An individual who directly implements applied behavior analysis services[,is] and

(A)  Is credentialed as a registered behavior technician by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board, and is under the direction of a behavior analyst licensed in this State; or

(B)  Is a direct support worker who provides autism treatment services pursuant to an individualized education plan on or before January 1, 2019; or

(C)  Is a direct support worker who provides medicaid home and community-based services pursuant to section 1915(c) of the Social Security Act on or before January 1, 2019;

(4)  A family member or legal guardian implementing an applied behavior analysis plan and who acts under the direction of a behavior analyst licensed in this State;

(5)  An individual who engages in the practice of behavior analysis with nonhuman or nonpatient clients or consumers including but not limited to applied animal behaviorists and practitioners of organizational behavior management;

(6)  A matriculated graduate student or postdoctoral fellow whose activities are part of a defined behavior analysis program of study, practicum, or intensive practicum; provided that the student's or fellow's activities or practice is directly supervised by a behavior analyst licensed in this State or an instructor in a Behavior Analyst Certification Board-approved course sequence; or

(7)  An individual pursuing experience in behavior analysis consistent with the Behavior Analyst Certification Board's experience requirements; provided that the experience is supervised by a behavior analyst licensed in this State."

2. I'm licensed in another state, do I have to apply for licensure in Hawaii?

Yes. If you practice in Hawaii, you must be a Hawaii licensed as a behavior analysis (go to PVL DCCA). 

3. If I live in another state, can I occasionally practice in Hawaii, without licensure?

No. There are no exemptions for visiting behavior analysts. ALL individuals practicing behavior analysis in Hawaii MUST be licensed in Hawaii. 

4. I live in another state, but have Registered Behavior Technicians (RBT) who live in Hawaii, --do I need a license?

Yes. If the Registered Behavior Technicians live and practice in Hawaii, then they must be supervised by a Hawaii Licensed Behavior Analyst.

5. If I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) and a BCBA, do I also need to become a Hawaii Licensed Behavior Analyst (LBA)? Hmmm...If you are licensed, and as a result of your licensed profession you were trained in behavior analysis, then no. If you are licensed, but you learned ABA skills and procedures through training and experiences separate from your Social Work courses, then yes, you must also become a Hawaii licensed Behavior Analyst. 

For additional questions about Hawaii licensure for behavior analysts, feel free to contact HABA at Legislation@HawaiiABA.org


Applications for Applied Behavior Analysis in Hawai'i 

- State law allows for a Licensed Behavior Analyst to design and oversee behavior analysis services
- State law allows for other licensed professionals (e.g., Psychologists) to practice behavior analysis, if it is in their scope of practice and training
- State law requires direct support workers (paraprofessionals), providing behavior analysis, to become Registered Behavior Technicians (RBTs)
- The Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB) credentials RBTs, Board Certified Assistant Behavior Analysts (BCaBAs), and Board Certified Behavior Analysts (BCBAs)

All supervisors of RBTs, BCaBAs, or those pursuing experience hours for BCBA/BCaBA certification must:
1) Be a BCBA (Licensed Behavior Analyst, in Hawaii) or a licensed or registered psychologist certified by the American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP) in Behavioral and Cognitive Psychology, who tested in Applied Behavior Analysis (note: BCaBAs can supervise RBTs)
2) Pass an 8-hour training covering the BACB’s Supervisor Training Curriculum Outline
3) Obtain 3 hours of continuing education covering supervision practices per certification cycle

All supervisors of those pursuing experience hours for BCBA/BCaBA certification must also:
1) Pass an online training through the BACB website
2) Ensure supervisees have passed the online training module on BACB experience standards through the BACB website

For more information, visit: http://bacb.com/supervision-requirements/

For additional questions about Hawai'i licensure for behavior analysts, feel free to contact HABA at Legislation@HawaiiABA.org